(Version 1.00 - Last updated: 06/20/00)
- Based on an original mecha design in Artmic Design Works: B-Club Special
- Background and RPG Statistics by Kenneth
YVF-4 was Boeing's attempt to win a portion of the advanced variable fighter
contract that was opened for bidding in 2005. At first, engineers were
uncertain which type of airframe would be most effective for modification with
the advanced "over-technology" found on board the SDF-1. The
Boeing aerospace company first focused their attempts on the venerable, but well
designed and F-4 Phantom.
The YVF-4 Specter was rolled out for its first test flight on
March 25, 2005, over a full month later than the YVM-29 "Blue Max" and
four after the Grumman team which was building the YVF-14.
Like the previous two designs, the Specter was designed with only a gerwalk and
fighter configuration. The flight went flawlessly as the research
scientists were amazed at the maneuverability and performance of the new
design. Although the performance was significantly improved over that of
traditional fighter, the climb rates and turn radius was substantially
less than the YVF-14.
In all some 25 YVF-4's were built before the program was canceled in 2007 with
the UEG decision to build the Tigercat which was finalized with the VF-1
During the Zentraedi invasion two squadrons (10 mecha each) of
Specters were formed. The 173rd was stationed in Seattle and the
187th out of Minneapolis. During the "Rain of Death" of
April 2011, the 179th squadron was completely wiped out while on the
ground. However, the 187th managed to take to the air. Three of the
Specters were destroyed while attacking incoming Zentraedi mecha from orbit.
The surviving 7 mecha were mothballed in the RDF bone yard
outside of Albuquerque base. They were briefly brought out at the end of
the Second Robotech War. Two were quickly destroyed by renegade Robotech
Master bioroids which found the design archaic and easily dispatched.
Without any spare parts and diminishing supplies of protoculture the remaining
units were cannibalized. No YVF-4's are believed to survive the Invid
- Vehicle Type: YVF-4 Specter
- Class: Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Boeing Aerospace, Advanced Variable Fighter Division
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System.
MDC BY LOCATION:
|GU-10 55mm Cannon
|(1) Main Body
|Reinforced Pilots Compartment
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha.
- FLYING, GERWALK CONFIGURATION:
- Mach 0.9 (900 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in
- FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
- Max level speed at sea level : Mach 1.1
Max level speed at 10km: Mach 2.5
Max level speed at 30+ km: Mach 4
- Stall speed : 182 kph (VTOL rectification possible)
- Range: 1500 km
Initial climb rate : over 20000m per minute
Service ceiling : 25 km (unboosted).
MAX ENGINE THRUST:
- 2 x GENERAL ELECTRIC XF-1 VECTORING TURBOJETS: each engine is rated at
25,000 lbs of thrust each with augmenters
- 6.13m in gerwalk configuration.
- 4.20m in fighter configuration.
- . 19.2 m
- 15000 kg empty.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 30
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
- COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS:
- MAUSER ROV-19 LASER CANNONS :
The earlier version of the ROV-20 which was to be mounted on the VF-1
Valkyrie. The weapon proved to be incredibly effective and although
the Specter program would be canceled the ROV-19 would be modified to GU-11
to fit into the nose blisters of the VF-1 Valkryie.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 2500 m
- DAMAGE: 3D6 per blast
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots equal to the combined attacks of the
- PAYLOAD: Effectively unlimited
- 6 x WING HARD POINTS: Four hard points are mounted under the main
body and two on each wing. Each hard point
can mount 15 short range, 5 medium, 2 long range missiles or 500 kg of bombs
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the Specter can engage in melee combat rather
than use a weapon. Without a dedicated battleloid mode the Specter only possesses limited
hand to hand abilities.
- Kick: 3D6*3
- Leap Kick: 6D6*3
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D6*3
- Stomp: 6D6*3 . (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE SPECTER:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Spector is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the
pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed with a
single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and
destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its
destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy
targets, and has a database of over 100 images stored in memory. The computer can identify
and track up to 5 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that
can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life
threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the
shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels
of radiation are.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in
the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to
amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam
of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's
sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR
reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor
that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a
false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows,
and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- HUGHES APZ-120 RADAR: 100 mile range
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with
satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy,
the pilot can activate the YVF-4 self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to
explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage
is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the
radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod will be
automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized
flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars,
a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a
five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages,
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Specter cockpit is pressurized, and also
provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with
pressurized breathing. The flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that
promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of
pilot's blacking out in combat.
- WESTINGHOUSE ALQ-119 ECM SENSOR JAMMER
- CHAFF AND FLARE DISPENSER:12 chaff and 12 flares are stored in each
COMBAT BONUSES FOR SPECTER TRAINING:
- 1 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels six and eleven.
- +0 to strike
- +2 in guardian, and +4 in jet mode.
- +1 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
REFERENCES USED IN THIS DESIGN
- Robotech Technical Files: Veritech Valkyrie
- Palladium Books: "Robotech The Roll Playing Game"
- FAS entry, F-4
Back to Mecha Home